Wednesday 30 May 2012

Bad news for patients...

So my union has decided to go on strike...

Two weeks ago when the BMA asked if I would be willing to take part in industrial action over threats to my pension I firmly said “no”. Today I found out I am in a minority. An overwhelming 92% of the junior doctors who responded to the ballot favoured taking part in a strike over this issue.

Now all routine GP appointments, hospital clinics and operations will be cancelled on 21st June. Supposedly this won't harm patients. What the hell? What about the elderly woman living off a state pension – a fraction of the pension her consultant will eventually live off – who has to endure another week or so of pain because her hip replacement is cancelled? Or the patient with worsening COPD whose chest clinic appointment (and subsequent clinical intervention) is postponed? Will their lungs appreciate that? Not to mention hundreds of psychiatric patients who won't get to see their psychiatrists that day...

There's no way around it – this strike will affect patients. 

My view remains that if doctors are so unhappy about their NHS pension they don't have to take up the offer of one; they can pay in to a private pension instead. But they know that private pensions are crap by comparison. Most of my friends outside of medicine work in the private sector. I currently have a fairer salary and fairer pension than any of them, even if proposed public sector pension reforms go ahead. Sure, unlike them my job involves sticking fingers up peoples arses, but we all have to make sacrifices in life...

On an entirely different note, it's my birthday this week. I have already opened my presents from my mother – a cheque for £125 (much appreciated) and two books on bipolar disorder, one entitled “The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide”... Gee mum, thanks. Thanks for rubbing it in.

Having got over my initial annoyance I reflected on the fact that she's only buying these books out of love (and perhaps a little desperation). Both books look fairly good. I just wish my illness weren't the main topic of conversation between myself and my family members at the moment.

Depressingly I didn't have time to make carrot cake last weekend (the heat made it unbearable to turn the oven on), so I bought one from M&S instead. Not a patch on what mine would have been. But then I didn't exactly get a birthday cake this year, so it was nice to have something sweet and manufactured in the fridge to comfort myself with.  

No comments:

Post a Comment