Thursday 24 May 2012

Is this really hypomania?

My mood's bounced back up in style since yesterday.

Once again I'm up good and early and being "productive" (i.e. trying to take on two many activities and getting distracted every ten minutes). The same thing happened three days ago. On that occasion I woke a couple of hours early, made a cup of coffee but forgot to drink it, started cleaning the fridge but couldn't be bothered to finish the job, went online to check out the news, look at pretty dresses, and checked out flights to various European cities. I almost bought a £300 return ticket to Austria on the spur of the moment, but thankfully had the insight to remember I'd have to check with my employer if I could take time off for this trip.

I never know whether to class these kind of episodes as hypomania or not. The only reason I have a diagnosis of bipolar disorder is because of the times I have been supposedly "high". I say supposedly because I still can't make up my mind whether my intermittent bouts of over-activity are pathological or not. My psychiatrists have thought they are - but then it's their business to spot these kind of things. Certainly when I've looked at information leaflets or online about bipolar disorder, I end up thinking Shit, that Sounds Like Me. But then a part of me questions whether perhaps I am just an intrinsically more intelligent, creative and energetic person when healthy and my diagnosis is all wrong. Or whether all of these psychiatric diagnoses are a product of the pharmaceutical industry wanting us to believe we're all sick and need pills to make us better.

DSM-IV states that true hypomanic episodes should last four days or more. I've had a couple of periods in my life when I have been symptomatic for well over four days (once in adolescence and once in my third year of medical school when I went fucking nuts). Each of these episodes were followed by acute crashes into the world of depression. But apart from that I tend to be symptomatic for less than 24 hours, and in all honesty I'm not sure how apparent these episodes are to other people, perhaps because no one tends to be around at 4am, but also because my sensation that my thoughts are racing aren't really visible to the outside world.

My current psychiatrist says that hypomania can last just a few hours at a time and that what I describe to her fits the bill. Which brings me around to the question - should I be concerned when I start to feel this way? Sometimes the sensation that my thoughts are rushing can be very distressing. But at other times I feel great. It's certainly nice to need less sleep. And booking last minute holidays or being extremely sociable and chatty is fun. Then again I don't really achieve much when I'm like this. Sure I can write, but I can't read or study because I get distracted. I don't finish cleaning whatever it is I've started cleaning. And so on.

So lets say I decide when I feel like this it is a bad thing, what am I meant to do about it? For a while I thought you couldn't do anything because I put it down to brain processes that could only be altered through medication (which clearly my medication ain't quite achieving). But then I found this website they other day that has some really sage advice about the importance of nipping hypomanic episodes in the bud and the best ways to do this. The author advises you to Stop, Isolate and Relax. I won't go into the details - check out the site if you want to know more.

That's about all I have to reflect on this morning. But before I stop writing, I just wanted to brag about the fact that my salary is 133% of the UK national average - check out this new BBC tool to see how you fare: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17543356

No comments:

Post a Comment